Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mens sana in corpore sano

As a 10 year old boy, I used to go swimming in the Olympic pool of Baia Mare. When I moved back to Miercurea Ciuc, my sports life came to a halt. I never fancied team sports - and in Miercurea Ciuc, hockey was the king, followed by football. I never had a "thing" for ball (or puck) games. I would have loved to run, but the climate in the Harghita county was unfavorable. I tried judo, but one day I almost dislocated my partner's arm (unwillingly), so I gave up.
It is a shame that, at that time, fitness and bodybuilding were not popular in Romania. Because, since I started going to the gym, I realised this sport fits me like a glove. I don't need talent (as one would nbeed for football), I only need time, and will. It is interesting that, at the same time with the body, one builds one's will too.
A few months ago, when I, too, got upset by the shape of my belly, I said: Enough is enough. I shall no more a be couch potato. So, I found this gym nearby (Iguana Fitness Club), and, little by little, I started to live this way of life.
I started on the wrong path - by doing strength exercises - so, while my muscles no longer looked like those of a professional chess player, my belly grew too. This, until I was told that, instead of pumping iron, I had to combine it with cardio.
In the time since I begun going to the gym, I realized this is not a fad, but the revival of the Roman way of living - "Mens sana in corpore sano". I went down from 88to 80 kilos, and I am on the way of building my body at the same pace I am building my will to do so. So, to all the coach potatoes: it's never too late for sport.

PS - watching football does not qualify as a sport.
PPS - my favourite cardio machine is the cross-trainer. It's like walking on the air. By the way, did I ever tell you how I won the second prize at ski, when I was a kid? I will, soon, and back-date it; so check the 1980's archive!

0 comments: